What to Expect When Calling a Law Firm
A how-to guide for your free case evaluation
The decision to hire an attorney is an important one, and the thought of calling an attorney about a potential legal claim may seem daunting. At Meyers & Flowers, we are committed to providing thorough, seamless, and efficient case evaluations. In this article, we break down the case evaluation process used at Meyers & Flowers along with some tips and tricks, so you know what to expect when you call our office with a potential legal claim.
When you first call our firm with a potential claim, your call will be forwarded to our Client Services department. Our Client Services department is an in-house team based out of our St. Charles, Illinois office. They serve as our new callers’ first point of contact. One of the many important tasks our Client Services department handles is “intake calls”. Intake calls are a pre-screening conversation to acquire personal information from a potential new client for our attorneys to analyze your case.
During your intake call, you will speak one-on-one with an intake specialist who will ask you a series of questions about your potential claim. The questions you are asked by the intake specialist are crafted by our team of attorneys to ensure that all information needed to evaluate your case is captured during your intake call. While our intake specialists cannot offer legal advice or opinions during your call, when your call ends, the intake specialist you spoke with will pass along the details of your conversation to the appropriate attorneys in our office. Our attorneys will review the call notes and the answers you provided during your call to determine whether your case is one that a Meyers & Flowers attorney can assist with.
Our Client Services department fields several potential case calls each day. Below are some tips our intake specialists recommend to enhance your intake experience:
- Have a chronological timeline of the incident ready to discuss. When discussing your potential claim with our team, it is important that they capture as many details as possible during your call. The more details you can provide – such as facility names, facility addresses, doctor names, diagnoses, referring attorney name and firm, etc. – the better.
- Check your email. Email is the quickest form of communication with our office. Once the details you have provided are assessed by our team of experienced attorneys, we will be in touch to let you know whether or not we can represent you in your case. While we can send letters to your mailing address, email is the quickest way to hear back from us.
- Sometimes we need more details. Intake calls are like snowflakes: no two are alike! If your case has special circumstances or if our team of attorneys have any follow up questions for you, our Client Services department will reach out to you via phone call or email for more information. In some instances, we may require medical records to fully evaluate a potential case.
- We will be in touch soon. Our team of attorneys work quickly and intentionally to determine whether or not we can represent you in a case. Typically, you will hear from our team within 3 to 5 business days after your intake call. If a week has passed and you have not heard from our Client Services department, you are welcome to call back and ask for a status on your case evaluation.
- All case evaluations are free. Meyers & Flowers is proud to offer free, no-obligation case evaluations. This means our expert attorneys will evaluate the case facts you provide during your intake call and assess whether your circumstance warrants legal action.
- Ask for a referral. Meyers & Flowers is a full-service personal injury law firm handling a multitude of different practice areas, but there are several matters our firm does not handle, including criminal law, family law, or civil defense. If our client services team states your case is a matter our firm does not handle, feel free to ask for a referral. Throughout our attorneys’ extensive careers, they have formed a network of referrals, some of which may be better suited to take on your case.
Meyers & Flowers has a long history of satisfied clients, and we look forward to serving our community’s legal needs. If you have a legal claim you would like our team of attorneys to evaluate, call us today.