Gladys P. Santana, Associate
Attorney Gladys Proa Santana is a dedicated and experienced advocate for clients whose lives have been tragically altered by defective medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs, workplace injuries and automobile accidents. With a focus on work in the area of complex mass tort litigation, Gladys has represented thousands of clients in her relentless fight to hold corporations accountable for reprehensible conduct that too often results in irreparable harm to people across the country. At Meyers & Flowers, she has helped foster the growth of the pharmaceutical and medical devices litigation departments and has headed several litigation dockets at the firm, including Actos, Pradaxa, IVC Filter, Taxotere, Talcum Powder and Tobacco litigations.
The driving force behind Gladys’ zealous advocacy for her clients is in the deep-rooted understanding that each case that comes to her, represents a person or family who has been hurt or has suffered the unimaginable loss of a loved one at the hands of, more often than not, a corporation who chose to value profit over human life. Advocating with purpose and seeking justice on behalf her clients has been her mission ever since joining the legal profession and continues to propel her forward.
Outside of the office, Gladys volunteers her time as a Court Appointed Special Advocate for Children as a CASA/GAL for CASA Kane County, a nonprofit volunteer organization that advocates for the best interests of abused and neglected children within the Juvenile Court system.
Gladys is fluent in Spanish.
NOTABLE LITIGATIONS and RESULTS:
- In Re: Cook Medical, Inc. IVC Filters Marketing, Sales Practices and Product Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2570
- In Re: Bard IVC Filter Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2641
- In Re: Pradaxa Products Liability Litigation, CT State Court
- In Re: Actos Litigation, 2011 L 010011, IL State Court
- In Re: DePuy ASR Litigation, 2010 L 10506, IL State Court
- $2.4 billion on behalf of individuals injured by a defective Diabetes drug
- $7.6 million products liability settlement
- $1.4 million settlement on behalf injured IVC filter users
- $12.2 million on behalf of women injured by a defective contraceptive device
State of Illinois
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Northern Illinois University, J.D.
Northern Illinois University, B.A.
BAR/PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION INVOLVEMENT:
- American Association for Justice
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Kane County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association’s Diversity Leadership Council
- Illinois State Bar Association’s Civil Practice & Procedure Section Council
- Illinois Bar Foundation
AWARDS; HONORS; DISTINCTIONS:
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star”
- The National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40 Civil Plaintiff Attorney”
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys “10 Best” in Client Satisfaction
- Graduate of the highly regarded inaugural class of the Illinois State Bar Association Leadership Academy
My priority is to understand where my clients have been and understand what they’ve had to go through, because only then can I really understand how to use the law to get them to where they need to be.