With the increasing popularity of ridesharing services such as Uber and Lyft, the frequency of motor vehicle accidents involving rideshare drivers is on the increase. If you are injured in a car wreck involving a ridesharing vehicle, either as a passenger or in another vehicle, it is essential that you consult with a Chicago Uber & Lyft accident attorney as soon as possible.
At Meyers & Flowers, our team of trial attorneys takes on Uber and Lyft accident cases in Chicago. If you or a loved one was seriously injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, you can be confident your case will be managed by Chicago’s premier personal injury law firm. We take our responsibility to our clients extremely seriously, and will seek the maximum compensation possible, based on the facts in the case.
Common Causes of Rideshare Accidents in Chicago
- Distracted driving. Uber and Lyft drivers are continually distracted while driving by the apps they are required to use. They must enter route information and deliver the passenger on the route provided by the app mapping feature, all while navigating heavy Chicago area traffic. These factors cause rideshare drivers to take their eyes off the road, increasing the risk of a collision.
- Driver fatigue. Many rideshare drivers use Uber or Lyft as a secondary source of income. After working during the day, the drivers will take to the road later in the evening to pick up passengers. Fatigue can lower reaction time, causing motor vehicle accidents and serious injuries.
- Failure to properly maintain a vehicle. Uber and Lyft drivers are independent contractors and are required to maintain their own vehicles. Dangerous accidents causing severe injuries can occur when the drivers fail to maintain a critical vehicle safety system, including tires, brakes, or even windshield wipers.
Types of Uber and Lyft Accidents
- You are injured while you are a rideshare passenger.
- You are injured while you are driving your vehicle due to the negligence of an Uber or Lyft driver.
- You are a pedestrian or cyclist injured due to the negligence of an Uber or Lyft driver.
I was injured in an accident while a passenger in an Uber, what do I do?
The simple answer is it depends on the facts in the case. The police make the determination about who is responsible for causing the accident. Was it the rideshare driver that caused the accident or the driver of another vehicle? The good news is, that if you were injured as a passenger in a rideshare vehicle, such as Uber or Lyft, you have a right to be compensated for your injuries by the negligent party.
If the rideshare driver of the vehicle was responsible, there are two separate policies that may come into play when filing a claim for compensation: The driver’s private auto insurance policy or the Uber or Lyft policy. When an Uber or Lyft driver was picking up or delivering a passenger, they are covered by a 1 million limit policy. If the driver was not currently picking up or dropping off a passenger, compensation can be pursued through a claim filed with their private auto insurance policy.
An Uber or Lyft driver caused a collision with my car and I was injured, what do I do?
The first fact that must be determined is whether the Uber or Lyft driver was “on-app.” A rideshare driver is on-app when they are either transporting a passenger or en route to pick up a passenger. This is important, as this fact is what determines whether the $1 million rideshare insurance policy will be in play if you were injured in an accident due to the Uber or Lyft driver’s negligence. If the rideshare driver is not on-app, then only the driver’s personal insurance policy will be available.
Whether a rideshare driver is on-app may be disputed by the rideshare companies to protect the company from liability. You should consult with an experienced Chicago Lyft accident lawyer as soon as possible if you are injured. Your attorney will be able to move quickly to preserve the evidence needed to determine whether the Uber or Lyft driver was on-app. This will maximize the amount of insurance money available to compensate you for your injuries, pain, and suffering.
I was a pedestrian injured by an Uber or Lyft vehicle, how can I be compensated for my injuries and other damages?
The critical piece of information is determining whether the rideshare driver was on-app to determine how to file a claim, and with which insurance company.
What to do if you are injured in an accident involving Uber or Lyft in Chicago?
- Seek medical attention immediately. Follow up with your medical care as recommended by your physician and keep a journal about your recovery.
- Call law enforcement to come to the scene of the accident so that a formal report is made.
- If you are able, take photographs and video of the scene of the accident.
- Write down every detail you can remember. This will assist your accident attorney when you meet us for your consultation.
- Contact Meyers & Flowers as soon as possible.
Why choose Meyers & Flowers?
At Meyers & Flowers, we are committed to securing justice and full compensation for the people we serve. Whether your case can be fairly settled out of court, or must be taken to civil court for resolution, you can be confident in our Chicago Uber accident attorney's legal skills, experience, and extensive track record of winning cases. We offer a free case evaluation, and our personal injury cases are taken on a contingency fee basis – no legal fees unless we win for you.