What is the First Thing I Should Do When I’ve Been in a Car Accident?
- Remain at the scene.
- Evaluate the condition of the passengers in your vehicle.
- Call the police and ensure emergency medical personnel are dispatched to assist the injured. Get the badge numbers of police officers attending the scene.
- If possible, take photos of the vehicles, the accident site, skid marks, etc.
- Exchange information with other parties in the accident.
- Get names, addresses, and phone numbers of eyewitnesses to the accident.
- If any person suffered serious or fatal injuries, retain legal representation to protect your right to just compensation.
- Do not admit fault or speak with the liable party’s insurance company representative without first retaining a lawyer – it could damage your case.
Who is Liable?
A full investigation into the collision will reveal what occurred. The liable party may be a negligent driver, whether drunk, speeding, distracted, or other act of negligence, a vehicle manufacturer, parts manufacturer, or the city, county or state responsible for maintaining roadways. The first step in determining liability is to connect with Meyers & Flowers.
What Are “Damages”?
In car accident injury cases, monetary compensation may be awarded in court. This compensation reflects the losses suffered by the injured party, including financial, emotional, and personal. The goal of compensatory damages is to attempt to make the injured party “whole.” While this is not always possible in cases in which a person has been seriously or permanently injured. In these cases, the damages must be of a value to provide the best possible quality of life.
Why Call Meyers & Flowers car accident lawyers?
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a car accident, or if you lost a loved one in a car accident, you need a top-rated injury lawyer to protect your rights and interests. Meyers & Flowers is recognized as a top Chicago personal injury law firm with an extensive winning record. We have achieved many historic verdicts and settlements. Beyond our legal skills and experience, we genuinely care about the people we represent.