meyers and flowers and koskoff koskoff and bieder file six cases against conagra in cook county for severe burns and injuries caused by cans of pam cooking spray
Meyers & Flowers Founder and Partner Peter J. Flowers along with J. Craig Smith of Koskoff Koskoff & Bieder filed six cases against ConAgra in Cook County for major burns and severe injury caused by cans of PAM Cooking Spray.
The suits stem from a dangerous can design that leads the household cooking spray product to explode causing second and third degrees burns and life-changing injuries for families throughout the U.S. News of these cases has been covered by the media nationally and include some very horrifying video as well as a desperate 911 call recording.
The six suits allege the injuries are due to the PAM Cooking Spray can design. This new can design was introduced in 2011 and is used primarily for cans that contain more than 10 oz. of product. The new design includes a venting mechanism on the bottom of the can – visible as four U-shaped score marks. These vents are intended to allow the container to vent its flammable contents in a controlled manner. However, the plaintiffs in these six cases have alleged that the design of the cans is faulty, dangerous and prone to exploding, resulting in severe injuries and damages.
ConAgra sells millions of cans of this aerosol product under the PAM label or generic store brands manufactured by Conagra for retailers. It is available throughout the county at supermarkets and membership warehouses and is estimated to be 95% of kitchens in the US.
The plaintiffs are:
- Maria Mariano, whose canister of Wellsley Farms Cooking Spray on a counter near the stove in her Staten Island, New York, home, exploded as she was boiling water on April 5.
- Raveen Sugantharaj, who was burned by an exploding can of Pam Cooking Spray in his Indianapolis home on March 6.
- Paytene Pivonka and Jacob Dalton, whose Pam Cooking Spray on a wall shelf above the stove where they were cooking in their Provo, Utah, home exploded and burned them on Nov. 6.
- Andrea Bearden and Brandon Banks, who were burned in their Mount Carmel, Illinois, home, on May 19 when the can of Pam Cooking Spray on a counter beside their stove exploded.
- Reveriano Duran, a cook at of the Berryhill Baja Grill in Houston, who on July 16, 2017, moved a canister of Sysco Cooking Spray from the left side of a shelf near the grill top to the right side and then was burned when it exploded.
- Y’Tesia Taylor, who was burned and blinded in one eye on July 15, 2017, when a canister of Pam Cooking Spray, which she'd just used to spray a baking dish with and then placed on a rolling wooden utility cart next to the stove where she was cooking, exploded as she finished putting the dish in the oven in her Greenville, Texas, home.
Meyers & Flowers joined with plaintiff’s attorneys Koskoff Koskoff & Bieder, P.C. in filing these complaints.
If you or a family have been injured due to a defective Pam can exploding, contact Meyers & Flowers. Our team can help you explore your legal recourse options. We can be reached online or at 877-221-2511 to request a case evaluation.